Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York, NY United States
|| Sales, Publishing
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Designer in their Trade Art Department. The Senior Designer will be focused on designing covers and interiors for Countryman Press, an imprint of W. W. Norton, as well as working with Norton’s team of art directors on original trade hardcover jackets for W. W. Norton. In this role, they will work closely with Countryman’s team of editors and production managers to craft one-of-a-kind and series books in the categories of cooking, lifestyle, nature, travel, and gift. This position will focus on cover design but will also handle interior design for the Countryman imprint. Both the Countryman and Norton lists require a wide range of skills and aesthetics, so we are looking for a talented designer who is a self-starter and a versatile and upbeat collaborator, with a passion for design and art. This role reports directly to the Trade Design Director who will oversee all aspects of the job within Norton’s talented and growing art department.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Work directly with the editorial and production teams for Countryman Press to craft beautiful covers, jackets, and interiors for a wide variety of categories.
• Work with the team of Norton Art Directors on the trade list designing original hardcover jackets.
• Coordinate and manage cover design meetings for the Countryman imprint.
• Attend production and other meetings, as needed, for the Countryman imprint.
• Manage Pre-press preparation for their own titles.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience at or for a publishing company .
• Must understand the nuances of cover design across multiple genres and have a range of styles which fit the diversity of Norton’s publishing program.
• Experience designing book page layouts for cookbooks and 4 color books.
• Excellent communication and organization skills.
• Critical eye for design.
• Understanding of how production techniques can inform design and vice versa a plus.
• Inspired to think independently and creatively.
• Must be able to efficiently manage their own workload.
• Must have a positive attitude towards collaboration.
• Must have the ability to manage a flexible list and tight deadlines.
• Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours in Norton’s NYC headquarters.
Ready to apply? Please click here: http://atsod.com/j/s.cfm/R0N
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years” in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.